Preliminary information indicates that the victim in the shooting was driving a vehicle southbound in the alley behind 525 South Nevada Avenue when he exited his vehicle and came into contact with the suspect. At least one shot was fired, striking the victim. The suspect then left the area in a red SUV, along an unknown path of travel.
As the suspect was leaving the area, CSPD Sergeant Jason Reeser was responding to the scene in an unmarked police vehicle. Sgt. Reeser was heading northbound on South Nevada Avenue, utilizing his emergency lights and sirens. As he passed through the intersection of South Nevada Avenue and east Rio Grande Street, the suspect vehicle, which was travelling westbound on East Rio Grande Street at a high rate of speed, struck the side of Sgt. Reeser's vehicle, rolling it onto its side. The suspect vehicle continued westbound from the area. Sgt. Reeser was uninjured in the crash and was able to extricate himself from the vehicle with the help of nearby citizens.
More on Colorado Desk
- Colorado Springs: Stormwater Enterprise Engages Local Artists in Sponsored Storm Drain Program
- Colorado Springs: Community input plays key role in awards for PlanCOS and Mill Street Neighborhood Plan
- Colorado Springs: My Mountain: how you can be a part of the new Pikes Peak Summit Complex
- Lucd Partners with AI Satellitez to improve customer experience for model creation in the Enterprise
- SFA Therapeutics, Inc. To Present At Bio Investors Forum
The suspect vehicle eventually returned to the area of 500 South Nevada Avenue, where it was contacted by patrol officers who detained the suspect pending further investigation. It is not believed there is any further danger to the public.
Detectives from CSPD's Homicide/Assault Unit responded to the scene and assumed responsibility for the investigation. While the El Paso County Coroner conducts an examination to make the final determination of the cause and manner of death, this case is being investigated as a homicide and continues to be an active investigation.
Anyone with information or is a witness to this investigation is asked to call the Colorado Springs Police Department at (719) 444-7000; or if you wish to remain anonymous, you may call Crime Stoppers Tip Line at (719) 634-STOP (7867) or 1-800-222-8477.
Latest on Colorado Desk
- La Marketplace B2B de Trace One pour booster les ventes et l'innovation dans l'univers du retail et des PGC
- Woolrior Announces Merino Environmentally Friendly Socks
- Lucd.ai Named "Cool Vendor" by Gartner
- The FMD Group Appoints New President - Mike Waters Joins The FMD Group
- Lantek to present six educational sessions at FABTECH 2019
- MuirWoods Memory Care, Petaluma's Comeback Kid
- Colorado Springs: Robbery Investigation: 1275 Garden of the Gods Road
- Colorado Springs: Traffic Fatality 3900 Block of East Pikes Peak Avenue
- Fitt Adds New Funding, Strategic Investor in MINDBODY
- Tidewater area restaurant The Dirty Buffalo announces Grand Opening for Virginia Beach location
- Colorado Springs: Drug Take Back Day
- Headstorm Extends Senior Leadership Team and Opens Pittsburgh Office
- ITSMA 2019 Marketing Excellence Awards Honor High Impact B2B Marketing Programs
- S-cubed launch the A3 Community MDR
- Waco Family & Faith International Film Festival Launches With The Goals To Empower The Creative Spirit And Celebrate All
- Refereum Partners With Leading Digital Marketplace OpenSea
- Menke to present at the 2019 ESOP Association Hawaii Chapter Annual Conference October 17
- Colorado Springs: Shooting Investigation: 900 Prospect Lake Drive (Memorial Park)
- Transaction Announcement - Dog Daycare and Kennel Business
- Colorado Springs: COS 150: Tree Challenge launched with ceremonial tree planting