"These acquisitions would conserve the western backdrop of our skyline, provide continued protection of wildlife habitat, and offer incredible views and fascinating possibilities for future recreation," said Britt Haley, design and development manager for the City of Colorado Springs.
The 2014 Park System Master PlanA plan for the development of a portion of the city that contains proposed land uses, a generalized transportation system, and the relationship of the area included in the plan to surrounding property. identified these areas as candidate properties for the City's open space system. If the acquisitions are approved by City Council, the two properties would undergo separate master planning processes with opportunities for public input on future use and development. The recommended acquisitions include the following properties, which are owned by Castle Concrete:
More on Colorado Desk
- Women's Aha Camp Celebrates 10 Years during Covid Chaos by Creating ahas!@home
- Triview Metropolitan District, Town of Monument, and HR Green win 2020 APWA Colorado Chapter Small Transportation Award
- Colorado Springs: New Red Light Safety Cameras Go Live September 25, 2020
- 6-Year Old First-Time Author Kai Mahalyn Tampol
- Powerstage Sports Nutrition Launches New Supplements Brand for the Athlete in All of Us!
Black Canyon Quarry, which is approximately 193 acres of property adjacent to Williams Canyon and located to the west of the Cedar Heights neighborhood and Garden of the Gods Park. The quarry has been closed since 2015 and reclamation is largely complete. From a regional perspective, this property offers future potential to provide trail access to the Pike National Forest's Waldo Canyon area. The U.S. Forest Service is currently engaged in an ongoing public planning process to reimagine Waldo Canyon.
A 148-acre frontage property of the Pikeview Quarry, which features rolling hills and oak brush. It's located immediately south of Blodgett Open Space and west of Allegheny Drive and the Oak Valley Ranch neighborhood.
Additionally, the 100-acre Pikeview Quarry could be acquired as a donation from Castle Concrete at a later date on condition of state approval of physical reclamation.
More on Colorado Desk
- Colorado Springs: Invitation to Apply for 2020 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Public Facilities Funds
- Strategus Named To Denver Business Journal Fast 50
- Study shows the state of hotel cleanliness in Europe. Which countries are best for booking hotels that are clean?
- Kupper Mounts Vacuum-Powered, Suction Cup Bike Racks Now for Sale Now through Shopify & KupperMounts.com for Customers Living in the United States
- Oil & Gas Cleantech Challenge Announces Call for Applications
The board's recommendation follows an endorsement by the Trails, Open Space and Parks (TOPS) Working Committee earlier this month. Additionally, several groups voiced support for the proposal Thursday, including Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates, the Pikes Peak Outdoor Recreation Alliance, the Rocky Mountain Field Institute, and the Trails and Open Space Coalition.
The $8.9 million acquisition is proposed to be funded by revenues from the TOPS Open Space Category with the assistance of acquisition partner The Conservation Fund. TOPS is a 0.01 percent sales tax first approved by voters in 1997 that is used exclusively to preserve open space lands, trails and parks. It generates approximately $9.5 million annually.
Latest on Colorado Desk
- Colorado Springs: COS Ends Summer with Continued Traveler Increase
- AUA, CIMT Forge Agreement Creating Med School Pathway for Canadian Students
- Travelers Haven Expands Leadership Team
- SM Energy Declares Semi-Annual Cash Dividend
- Celebrate 30 Years Of Beverly Hills 90210 With The Beverly Hills 90210 Podcast Super Show
- World Theatrical Premiere Of The Documentary "Me The People" Official Selection At Boston Film Festival 2020
- Canada's CHEK TV upgrades with the new Wohler iVAM1-1
- Autism Memoir Launches During Canadian Autism Awareness Month
- Colorado Springs: Mountain Metro Moves Bus Route to Fillmore Street
- Ideanomics Hires Dr. Liqing Hu a Fuel Cell Expert For Its EV Truck Division
- Pro-Life Event to Follow President Trump's Historic Supreme Court Nominee Announcement
- Colorado Springs: 2C update: 1,000 lane miles and counting
- NATP announces Virtual Tax Season Update
- AutoQuotes Announces Partnership with Energy Solutions
- InsurTech Leader Delivers Industry's First Commercial Submissions Platform to Agency and Carrier Design Partners
- NCBW METRO New York Hosting Virtual Charter Ceremony
- Vision Centre-Ville et ID Gatineau s'associent à Macadamian afin d'offrir une application mobile aux tenanciers de bars et restaurants de Gatineau
- Be The Generation with Representation
- Colorado Springs: Behind the Springs: A new experience on Pikes Peak – America's Mountain
- Hip Hop Artist C.Y.B. is Slated to Release His New Album Called, "Today We Ready."