- Espanita Artisanal Tequila Awarded Gold At 2020 USA Spirits Awards
- United Flea Markets Acquires Treasure Aisles Flea Market in Monroe, Ohio
- Colorado Springs: Construction to replace Platte Avenue Bridge over Sand Creek underway
The Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) board awarded a $340,000 grant to the City of Colorado Springs to employ seasonal staff to complete critical stewardship projects in local parks and open spaces experiencing significant visitation as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
This grant is part of GOCO's Resilient Communities program, which helps grantee partners advance outdoor recreation, stewardship, and land protection work. Funded projects respond to one-time, immediate needs or opportunities that have emerged in direct response to the COVID-19 pandemic all within the context of GOCO's five program values: resource conservation, outdoor stewardship, community vitality, equitable access, and youth connections to the outdoors.
More on Colorado Desk
- City Council adopts Colorado Springs' first public art master plan; approves acquisition of additional 40 acres of open space in Corral Bluffs
- Gates Industrial to Participate in Credit Suisse's 8th Annual Global Industrials Conference
- 2020 Colorado Cleantech Awards Finalists Announced
- Visible Teams Up with Dan Levy and His Iconic Eyebrows in New "Unlimited Eyebrowsing" Ad Campaign
- L2 Aviation receives FAA STC approval for Ka-band system installations on Boeing 767 aircraft
In partnership with Rocky Mountain Field Institute (RMFI), the City of Colorado Springs will use these funds to employ 5-7 seasonal workers to complete stewardship projects over the course of the next two years. Stewardship activities will include new trail construction and restoration, fence installation and repair, habitat protection, and erosion control. In addition, workers will benefit from environmental education opportunities, including training in Leave No Trace (LNT) practices.
RMFI stewardship crews will be supplemented by community volunteers of diverse ages, experiences, and backgrounds, further extending resources and enhancing community relations. Project locations will be determined based on highest need, visitation levels, and needed support for existing management plans.
Additionally, the City will partner with the Trails and Open Space Coalition to develop a Trail Ambassadors Program to educate users on trail safety and etiquette. Ambassadors will inform users about trail etiquette, provide general trail information, connect users with community resources, and share LNT principles. The program aims to train 40 volunteers over a two-year period, with the goal of having ambassadors be a consistent presence at popular trailheads in Colorado Springs.
More on Colorado Desk
- Arapahoe/Douglas Works! and CompTIA Partner to Assist Displaced Workers Through Free IT Training Program
- Zippy Shell and Subsidiary 1-800-PACK-RAT Secure Financing from The Carlyle Group & PNC Bank
- Elf Prep Academy Trains Elf Recruits to Help Santa Spread Holiday Cheer Just in Time for Christmas
- Syxsense Announces New Support for Amazon Web Service (AWS) Linux Devices
- Florida Family & Faith International Film Festival Powered by AARP Florida Celebrates Caregivers and Families This Thanksgiving Season
Through these efforts and others, the City aims to be a Leave No Trace Gold Standard site by 2021.
GOCO receives a portion of Colorado Lottery proceeds to preserve, protect and enhance the state's wildlife, parks, rivers, trails and open spaces. Since 1992, GOCO has invested more than $56.3 million in projects in El Paso County and conserved more than 8,000 acres of land. GOCO funding has supported Cheyenne Mountain State Park, Colorado Springs Legacy Loop, Ute Valley Gateway Open Space, John Venezia Community Park, Edison Park at Venetian Village, El Paso County Fairgrounds, the Manitou Incline, and the Generation Wild of the Pikes Peak Region coalition, among other projects.
Latest on Colorado Desk
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. Completes the Largest Dialysis Clinical Trial in the United States
- OtterBox Has a Gift for Everyone on Your List
- HomeCentris Healthcare Announces New Location Serving Maryland's Eastern Shore
- US Stock Dividends Dropped 3.9% While Global Dividends Fell 11% in Q3
- Crypto Land Is Calling For A New Coin While Its Rates Skyrocket
- 14th Annual Tour DaVita Raises Nearly $1 Million for Bridge of Life
- NAC Welcomes New OCC Proposed Rule To Help Provide Access to Banking Services for ATM Operators
- Western Union Advances Its Digital Growth Strategy With Investment in stc pay
- AUA College of Medicine Establishes Admissions Agreement with Stetson University
- Colorado Springs: Mountain Metro Returns to Normal Weekend Service
- Home2 Suites by Hilton Midland East Celebrates Topping Off
- Colorado Springs: Bancroft Park's self-cleaning restrooms named America's Best Restroom® by Cintas
- Liggett Group, Vector Tobacco, and Xcaliber International File Preliminary Injunction Against the State of Colorado in United States Federal Court
- Colorado Springs: First five years of 2C paving program comes to a close
- Colorado Springs makes shortlist of permanent U.S. Space Command headquarters candidates
- Syxsense Announces New Vulnerability Dashboard as Demand for Securing Remote Workers Surges
- Trifecta for Home Sellers- Taking Advantage of the Market
- Kaufman & Kaufman, LLC. Will Help You Settle Your Case
- Toll Brothers at The Timbers Releases New Home Sites