RetoolCOS is a follow up to PlanCOS, the City's recently updated Comprehensive PlanA comprehensive plan is a guiding document that provides a framework for city policies and priorities regarding the physical development of the city. It is a long-range vision of what we want our city to become and is a tool for making decisions about how that vision should be achieved. It outlines strategic steps to make the vision a reality and provides targeted and strategic planning of the physical development of the city.. PlanCOS helped us identify how our city's needs and priorities have changed over the last 25 years when it comes to how land is used and developed within city limits. RetoolCOS is the next step needed to give life to the established vision.
What is the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance?
The Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance governs land use, growth, and development within neighborhoods. It establishes different categories of land use (known as zoning districts) and outlines what uses (residential, business, industrial, etc.) are allowed in each district. Each zone has a different set of rules for how the property in that area can be developed, such as:
More on Colorado Desk
- Ideanomics' Announces Pilot Program to Monetize EV Energy Sales
- Higher Digital Appoints New Advisory Board Members as Colleges and Universities Seek Guidance to Adapt to Online Teaching and Learning
- Chicago Tech Startup Launches New "House Painting In Place" Technology In Wake Of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
- Abintegro redefines how employers recruit early talent
- NOKR Urges Preparedness During COVID-19 Global Emergency
- Landscaping requirements Building heights Where structures can be built on a lot and how they can be used How properties can be subdivided How wide the streets need to be The type of drainage and stormwater facilities are needed Dimensional standards, which include lot sizes and setbacks (how much space is required between structures, from a lot line or the street)
All of these things combined impact the look, feel, and personality of a development.
What will RetoolCOS update or change?
RetoolCOS will focus on:
- Reviewing regulations for residential and commercial zoning districts Reviewing lot sizes for each zoning district Rules and requirements for developing property within each zoning district Transportation options including bus, bike, pedestrian, and personal vehicles Modifying existing and creating new zoning districts that allow for new development trends (i.e. – smaller lot sizes) Parking requirements Landscape standards Allowing more mixed-use developmentDevelopment that integrates two or more land uses, such as residential, commercial, and office, with a strong pedestrian orientation. to allow people to work, shop, and recreate closer to where they live Making the city code more user-friendly with graphics and flow-charts for processes
More on Colorado Desk
- Colorado Springs: COVID-19 enforcement of health orders
- T-NOW, a New Offering from TTEC, Provides COVID-19 Business and Government Continuity and Resiliency Solutions for CX Leaders
- Datavalet Helps Teams Work Remotely During Covid-19 Crisis
- Colorado Springs: Homeless Isolation Shelter Opened, Received First Guest on Sunday
- PINC's Matt Yearling named Rock Star of the Supply Chain by Food Logistics magazine
Some things that RetoolCOS will NOT focus on:
- Building and construction codes Sign regulations Parkland and school land dedication Fees or studies related to the City's fiscal impacts of development Short-term rentals Accessory dwelling units Wireless communication facilities/small cell telecommunication facilities including 5G
Why do we need this update?
The Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance has not been updated since the 1990s. Our city has changed a lot in the last two decades, growing from approximately 283,000 people to nearly 500,000 people today.
The update will also make the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinance easier to use by adding features like cross-references, illustrations, and consistent review procedures, which are common in city codes today.
As previously mentioned, it's needed to move our community's PlanCOS vision forward.
How you can get involved
The City is hosting an open house where you can learn more about RetoolCOS and start getting involved in the process. The open house will be at the Pikes Peak Regional Building Department (2880 International Circle, 2nd floor, Colorado Springs 80910) from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, February 18.
For more information about RetoolCOS visit ColoradoSprings.gov/retoolcos.
Latest on Colorado Desk
- UGE Signs Three Agreements, Including Largest US Project in Company's History
- Ball Delivers Cryostat to University of Arizona for NASA Balloon Mission
- Eat Locally - Businesses Supporting Local Restaurants
- Slim LED Light Box in 10mm,16mm and 20mm with 5 Years Warranty and Custom Sizes
- Class Claims LLC Announces Practice to Assist Businesses with Government Loans and Grants
- ASI's 2020 Partner & Client Conference Goes Virtual as "iNNOVATIONS LIVE"
- Tampa President & Firm Found Guilty of Fraud - Plaintiff Awarded Nearly $1 Million
- Colorado Springs: Isolation shelter for people experiencing homelessness and show symptoms of COVID-19
- New Study: MindSciences Unwinding Anxiety App Reduces Physician Anxiety and Cynicism by Half
- Americans Brace For Economic Fallout From Coronavirus Pandemic
- Advanced Fever-detection Technology to Protect Against COVID-19 Launched by National Life Safety / Security Provider
- Charlotte-Based Real Estate Tech Startup Close Off Market, Inc. Launches New (Beta) Platform
- Arizona Businesswoman Launches Giveaway to Support Students During School Closure
- Ideanomics Announces Operations Back to Normal; Announces $8.1 Million in Orders
- IAOP Announces New Initiative with Its Impact Sourcing Champions Index
- Selectech Launches Healthcare Division
- AFOP Announces its 2020 Farmworker Children Essay and Art Contest
- Care Packages to Frontline Workers Delivered by Erasable Inc. of Tampa with Partners ZO Skin Health and HydraFacial
- Bobo's "healthcare Heroes" Bar Supports Frontline Workers With Healthy, Ready-to-eat Snacks
- Exquisite home for sale in an equestrian community!