- Gores Technology Partners, Inc. Announces the Separate Trading of its Class A Common Stock and Warrants Commencing May 3, 2021
- Leave a Financial Legacy for National Brothers and Sisters Day at the Reignite Your Finances Virtual Summit
- LED Panel Back Light Stained Glass and Onyx Stone
One company that benefited from the growth of both ecommerce and outdoor cooking is BBQ Dragon, a grilling accessories manufacturer whose sales are 80% online, at retailer sites like Target, Home Depot, and Lowes. But BBQ Dragon president George Prior reports that the increase in sales came with a variety of other problems that the company struggled to surmount.
"Our suppliers in China closed their factories for several months in most cases," says Prior. "So just when we were selling like crazy and needed to order more inventory, the factories warned us that they were months behind. As a result, we were out of stock on many items for half the year last year."
More on Colorado Desk
- MedAware Systems Releases Cross-Platform Post Market Product Monitoring Service
- Toll Brothers Announces Final Opportunities to Live in The Enclave at Kechter Farm
- Rapid Technologies Advances to an Elite Partner in the ServiceNow Partner Program
- Offen Petroleum Strengthens its Ozark Region With Acquisition of Petromark
- Peachtree Immediate Care Expands its Network by Adding Four Locations in last Three Weeks
Prior says that the inventory delays were only a part of the pandemic-related problems that BBQ Dragon faced in the past 12 months, including:
- Manufacturing delays in China caused first by factory shutdowns early in 2020, and second by a huge increase in orders many Chinese factories received as a result of increased ecommerce purchasing by U.S. consumers shopping from home.
- Increased delays in shipping times and shipping expenses for containers coming from China. Prior reports that containers that normally cost $5000 to ship and arrived in 4 weeks, now cost $14,000 and arrived in 3 months.
- Containers lost overboard from container ships. Bloomberg News reported that containers were being lost overboard at the highest rate in 7 years, with over 2000 containers lost at sea in 2020 alone.
- Continuing high "Trump Tariffs" from the trade war with China. BBQ Dragon pays a 25% "Trump Tariff" on many of their items, which directly impacts their profitability.
Prior describes their own lost container issue: "We had a container on the ship 'One Apus' which lost like 1200 containers in November. The ship was rerouted to a Japanese port to sort out the mess," says Prior. "They have confirmed that ours was not lost overboard, but we still have no word on when or if we will ever receive it."
More on Colorado Desk
- TrueDialog Higher Education Texting Solution Named EdTech Award Finalist
- Everyone Can Have Their "15 Minutes" With Former Google PPC Expert, Savio Marian
- Watchmaker Genomics and Molecular Loop Announce Partnership to Expand Access to High-Performance Genetic Tests for SARS-CoV-2 Surveillance
- Nanometrics wins Government of Canada Contract to Provide the Infrastructure for Canada's Early Earthquake Warning System
- Intermap CEO Participates in Interview with Proactive Investors
The bottom line for BBQ Dragon was dramatically increased costs. But Prior says they focused on the positive, which was increased brand visibility: "We saw it as an opportunity to add new products."
BBQ Dragon added more than 25 new products to their catalog over the past 12 months. "It's risky," says Prior. "At a chaotic time when a lot of companies were probably financially conservative, we decided to expand. We'll see how that works out, but I think it fits our company slogan: 'BBQ Bold.'"
BBQ Dragon products are available at bbqdragon.com and online at major retailers like Target, Home Depot, and Lowes.
BBQ Dragon is a popular grill accessories brand with 50 innovative products in their catalog. The creators of the BBQ Dragon Fan and the 2-minute charcoal Chimney of Insanity, their mission is to create innovative products that inspire customers to excel at BBQ and at life. They believe that good tools inspire good BBQ, and good BBQ inspires good living.
Contact: George Prior
SOURCE BBQ Dragon
Filed Under: Business
Latest on Colorado Desk
- New Non-Invasive Keloid Treatment using Rhenium-188 now available in South Africa
- American Homebuilders of West Africa Returns to Roots with Jobomax Rebrand
- Makarand Karanjkar joins Wohler as CEO and CTO
- Living Abroad Obtains Prestigious Woman-Owned Business Designation
- Internet of Things (IoT) Gateway Converts CAN Bus Data to WiFi, Bluetooth, BLE
- Cirrus Supports Pursuit in Bringing Financial Assistance to Small Businesses Through Queens Small Business Grant Program
- The Belt Railway Company of Chicago Implements CrewPro Short Line
- ekoostik hookah Release First Official NFT Collection And Announce New Album
- NJ Realtor Barbara Valentino Joins Haddonfield's Boutique Agency
- Lowe Forms Denver-Based Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Skye Commercial – Hires Industry Veteran Alec Wynne as Managing Broker
- United Launch Alliance Honors Three Suppliers with Small Business Excellence Award
- AVTECH Named A 2021 Best Place To Work In Rhode Island By Providence Business News
- Colorado Attorney Discusses Delayed Pain & How You're Still Entitled to Worker's Compensation
- Pompano Beach-based business receives Office Depot's ELEVATE TOGETHER Grant
- Lehigh Valley Inter-Regional Networking & Connecting Consortium Announces New Hires in Leadership Roles
- Evolve IP Extends Its Microsoft Teams Direct Routing Solution To More Than 50 Countries
- ProcessMiner™ Announces Appointment of Dr. Stephen Vasconcellos to Scientific Advisory Board
- Crunchytales® | Smart Stories For Midlife Bloomers
- Announcing Wiley's Diversity in Tech Webinar Series