- CoreSite Announces First Quarter 2021 Earnings Conference Call
- Colorado Springs: Behind the Springs: What is Community Development?
- Avo Limo LLC and Spring in Colorado
It's National Community Development Week and you're not alone if you don't know exactly what that means! Listen in as we talk about affordable housing, homelessness and helping the most vulnerable in our community. By the end, you'll understand why it's so important to thank our many partners making a difference in Colorado Springs.
Listen to the episode
More about Community Development
What is Community Development Week?
National Community Development Week is an opportunity to showcase the many outstanding projects the City's community development partners accomplish each year. From new affordable housing developments to improved neighborhood safety and ADA access, as well as programs assisting our most vulnerable residents.
What is Community Development?
Community development in its broadest sense is about bringing people together to create solutions to community problems. The Community Development Division of the City of Colorado Springs supports the city's efforts to create strong, sustainable, inclusive communities and quality affordable homes for all people in Colorado Springs. We help the mayor achieve his goal of creating and preserving 1,000 affordable housing units a year. To accomplish this goal and others, we partner with local nonprofits, housing developers, and public agencies. Every year, we work with our stakeholders to assess community needs and target grant funds to provide services, neighborhood infrastructure and economic development to help our community realize its potential as a vibrant, inclusive, affordable and desirable place to live.
More on Colorado Desk
- Colorado Springs: COS150 Tree Challenge: How to select your tree
- Colorado Springs: Behind the Springs: Ready to get the vaccine?
- Sm Kitchen Appliances: Creating Meals and Memories with Premium Kitchen Supplies
- Mensa Foundation Celebrates 50 Years of Unleashing Intelligence
- Gatos Silver Strengthens Executive Management Team
Our division manages entitlement grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that include the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) and Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) programs.
In 2020 the Community Development Division released HomeCOS: Housing our Future (read it here), the City's affordable and plan. A progress report will be released in April 2021.
- Over 24,000 residents assisted per year (3 year average)
- Our partners are generating $1.7 billion in local economic impact
- We received $5,015,045 from HUD in 2021 through the following programs:
- $3,168,111 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
- $1,584,300 in HOME Investment Partnership (HOME)
- $262,634 in Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG)
- We manage a $29 million loan portfolio with over 50 affordable multifamily properties
- Staff manages 35-40 projects a year with over 30 partner organizations
- Nine full time staff members – 100% grant funded
- Managing over $24 million in additional funds through the CARES Act and other relief programs to mitigate the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Greccio Housing's Atrium at Austin Bluffs, a 54 unit senior affordable housing development
- Exponential Impact's Survive & Thrive business assistance program targeted to entrepreneurs in SE Colorado Springs
- The Springs Rescue Mission's recently completed kitchen and dining facility
- Sunshine Home Care's innovative solution to senior housing
To find out more visit ColoradoSprings.gov/CommunityDevelopment.
More on Colorado Desk
- Presenting Companies for the 2021 Mining Cleantech Challenge Announced
- Green Spoon Sales & Shelvspace Unveil New-To-Market Retail Software
- Gary S. Monroe, C.D. Accelerates Promising New Treatments For Cocaine And Methamphetamine Addicts
- Legendary Hall of Famer Andre Dawson welcomes golfers to charity tournament
- Colorado State Land Board Selects Hospitality at Work® to Manage Commercial Property Portfolio
More from Behind the Springs
- Episode 55: Leave No Trace
- Episode 54: Meet the new Colorado Springs Fire Chief
- Episode 53: Brothers make history in COS
- Episode 52: Diversity Discussion
- Episode 51: Checking in with the mayor
- View all episodes
Watch the episode
Episode 56 What is Community Development
Video of Episode 56 What is Community Development
Latest on Colorado Desk
- CB Insights Again Names AI.Reverie a Top 100 AI Startup
- New Large Format Custom Print, Branding and Sourcing Company Welcomes Sports Industry Veteran as Founding Partner
- Veritone to Hold Virtual Investor Day and Technology Expo on May 14, 2021
- Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis Implements CrewPro Short Line
- Ismail Sirdah's Helpful Tips For Selling Event Ticket Online
- Colorado Springs: Summit House demolition now underway
- Sandline Global Broadens Commitment to Data & Analytics: Adam Poeppelmeier Joins as Director of Business Intelligence
- CCIA & CALSTART Announce Call for Applications for the 2021 Commercial Vehicle Cleantech Challenge
- The Savory Grape Launches New Online Shopping And Delivery Experience
- Liberty TripAdvisor Holdings, Inc. Announces Closing of Overallotment Option in Connection with Previously Announced Private Offering of Exchangeable Senior Debentures and the Completion of its Repurchase of 42% of Preferred Stock from Certares
- If Your Pavements Could Talk, What Would They Tell You?
- Covid-19 Quarantine Spawns 18 "Pregnancy After 40" Birth Announcements From Group Members in a Single Week
- Avo Limo LLC and Spring in Colorado
- Massage Therapy Center in Los Angeles is Putting a Spring Back In Your Step
- Multi-platinum singer Linda Varg and Audilus to join forces
- Social Security The Great Ponzi Scheme: "If This Book Doesn't Raise Your Blood Pressure, You'd Better Check For A Pulse!"
- Survey Finds 2020 High School Graduates Delayed College Plans, Concerned about Financial Security
- National Minority Health Association Launches PSA to Increase Vaccine Confidence in Minority Communities
- Join Spectra Art Space Tonight! *Bringing Art Auctions To The People*
- Global Connectivity Demand Drives Zayo's Fiber Network Expansion in Florida