On July 24, Barnhart was volunteering with TRP's adaptive water skiing program, when he heard panicked cries from the far side of Prospect Lake. Without hesitating, he leapt to action, steering his jet ski to the opposite shore, where a small crowd had gathered.
Barnhart quickly learned that a young boy was drowning and with the help of a member of the community, the unconscious child was pulled to shore. Realizing the boy had ingested lake water, Barnhart quickly and calmly administered CPR for nearly 10 minutes.
More on Colorado Desk
- CJV Real Estate Has a New Listing in Denver, CO 80203
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Client ShelfGenie on Induction into the Franchise Hall of Fame
- Comedian Don Barnhart Reopens Jokesters Comedy Club With Best Deal In Las Vegas
- Boulder International Film Festival: March 5th - March 8th, 2020 includes Celebrity Appearances, Award-Winning Filmmakers, New Adventure Film Pavilion
- Google Will Index Sites Linked With No-Follow
As TRP volunteers worked to ease the panicked family and the growing crowd, Barnhart restored the boy to consciousness. The child was frightened, but alive when emergency staff took over care. The responders praised Barnhart for his decisive actions which, ultimately, saved the boy's life.
Mayor Suthers commended Barnhart, saying, "July 24, 2019, is a day that no one at Prospect Lake will soon forget. We are grateful to share that this story had a positive outcome. Cris acted selflessly in the face of a dangerous situation, and it is with great pride and gratitude that we recognize him with a Spirt of the Springs Celebration Award."
The Mayor's Office welcomes the opportunity to recognize exceptional individuals and organizations within the City of Colorado Springs with a Spirit of the Springs Celebration Award. These awards are presented to recipients by the mayor or an official designee to honor them for outstanding achievements. For more information, visit mayorsuthers.com.
Latest on Colorado Desk
- You're Invited to a FREE First-time Homebuyer's Seminar on March 28th at Mosaic in Fort Collins
- Millionacres Announces Speakers for Mogul Real Wealth Summit in San Diego
- Discovery Map's Sam and Ann Douglass celebrate 25 years of Making Maps, Friends and Memories
- Digital Media Solutions Names Kathy Bryan As Chief Marketing Officer
- AutoQuotes and FEDA Announce New Strategic Partnership
- Lantek increases its turnover by 9.6%, reaching $23 million
- Dr. Greg Still Honored with ACFAS Distinguished Service Award
- ThreeMain Goes Carbon Neutral, Sells Out Of Inventory
- Jordan Belfort, Wolf of Wall Street, to Speak at 7th Annual CEO Summit
- DaVita Names Kenny Gardner Chief People Officer
- The Global Premedia Network (GPN) announced today further expansion of its strategic partnership with premedia providers from Europe and Oceania
- TV Personality Santana Rodriguez Inks Deal with New Media Company, Expanding Audience for Her Popular TV Series "Shaping Up with Santana"
- Metavivor Announces Additional Metastatic Breast Cancer Research Awards
- Patriot Travel Reviews 7 New Viking River Cruise Ships for 2020
- Colorado Springs: Registration now open for the 2020 Mayor's Cup golf tournament
- "The Art of Email Security" Book Seeks To Help Companies Improve Their Cybersecurity Culture
- Colorado Springs: Westside residents and businesses asked to "Be Bear Smart, Do our Part"
- Registration For The Fourth Annual Broccoli City Weekend Conference (#broccolicon2020) May 7-8th Now Open
- FuseFX, Award-Winning VFX Provider Expands with New Atlanta Location
- Morpheus Data Named a Leader in Gartner's 2020 Magic Quadrant for Cloud Management Platforms for the Second Year in a Row