"These acquisitions would conserve the western backdrop of our skyline, provide continued protection of wildlife habitat, and offer incredible views and fascinating possibilities for future recreation," said Britt Haley, design and development manager for the City of Colorado Springs.
The 2014 Park System Master PlanA plan for the development of a portion of the city that contains proposed land uses, a generalized transportation system, and the relationship of the area included in the plan to surrounding property. identified these areas as candidate properties for the City's open space system. If the acquisitions are approved by City Council, the two properties would undergo separate master planning processes with opportunities for public input on future use and development. The recommended acquisitions include the following properties, which are owned by Castle Concrete:
More on Colorado Desk
- How to Ward off Boredom Better Than Binging TV
- Colorado Springs: Flood mitigation project to protect Garden of Gods Park, downstream communities nears completion
- The City of Colorado Springs Partners with ParkMobile for Contactless Parking Payments
- Launching OneQuantum LLC the Quantum Tech startup community
- OrPro Therapeutics Advances a New Inhalation Treatment Approach for COVID-19
- Black Canyon Quarry, which is approximately 193 acres of property adjacent to Williams Canyon and located to the west of the Cedar Heights neighborhood and Garden of the Gods Park. The quarry has been closed since 2015 and reclamation is largely complete. From a regional perspective, this property offers future potential to provide trail access to the Pike National Forest's Waldo Canyon area. The U.S. Forest Service is currently engaged in an ongoing public planning process to reimagine Waldo Canyon. A 148-acre frontage property of the Pikeview Quarry, which features rolling hills and oak brush. It's located immediately south of Blodgett Open Space and west of Allegheny Drive and the Oak Valley Ranch neighborhood.
Additionally, the 100-acre Pikeview Quarry could be acquired as a donation from Castle Concrete at a later date on condition of state approval of physical reclamation.
More on Colorado Desk
- Blue Forest Farm Co-Founder Publishes Children Book All About Hemp
- Omy de Oro 'The King of Punchlines' signs with Caroline, becomes first Puerto Rican artist to release a solo dembow track 'Cash'
- NS4ed Customizes District Market Needs for Nebraska Schools
- CEO Coaching International Congratulates Fintech Startup Client Airfox on Acquisition by Retail Giant
- Nephrology Practice Solutions Names New Chief Medical Officer
The board's recommendation follows an endorsement by the Trails, Open Space and Parks (TOPS) Working Committee earlier this month. Additionally, several groups voiced support for the proposal Thursday, including Medicine Wheel Trail Advocates, the Pikes Peak Outdoor Recreation Alliance, the Rocky Mountain Field Institute, and the Trails and Open Space Coalition.
The $8.9 million acquisition is proposed to be funded by revenues from the TOPS Open Space Category with the assistance of acquisition partner The Conservation Fund. TOPS is a 0.01 percent sales tax first approved by voters in 1997 that is used exclusively to preserve open space lands, trails and parks. It generates approximately $9.5 million annually.
Latest on Colorado Desk
- Lantek launches version 2020 with focus on remote working and process efficiency
- Palomar Display Products, Inc. awarded a $3.5M order for gunner displays
- Jet Medical Tourism® Cites Report Saying Bariatric Surgery Works, But Millions of Eligible Patients in The Heaviest American States Cannot Get It
- Walzik Announces Automated Interface Between Dynamics GP and Strategic Movements
- NS4ed Partners with New Mexico to Maximize the Perkins V's Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment (CLNA)
- Over 400 CEOs Have Benefited from CEO Coaching International's Free Coaching Call Offer
- Certified Nutraceuticals , Inc is proud to partner with Princeton Consumer Research for a Randomized, Single-Blinded, Placebo-Controlled Study
- All Premium CBD Enters the Pain Relief Arena with CBDMEDIC Partnership
- Nutraceuticals & Agriceuticals Technology Company, Inc. Files For Patent Protection For Latest Invention Persimonal™ Persimmon Leaf Exctract- Powder
- Lakewood art student transforms shed into photography darkroom
- World Humanity Commission Awards Certificate of Appreciation to Kalgidhar Society Baru Sahib for promoting Lessons of Humanity
- edjuster Celebrates Twenty Years of Excellence in Contents Claims Management for Insurers, Adjusters and Policyholders
- Gold City Music announces a NEW CD RELEASE By Former Isley Brother CHRIS JASPER..."For the Love of You"
- Braeden Lichti: The Complicated World of Biotech Investments in the Era of COVID-19
- Colorado Springs: Significant park and trail improvement projects begin Tuesday
- Capgemini UK Plc Breaches GDPR Regulations
- Practicing mindfulness without addressing self-destructive habits is like placing a band-aid on a festering wound
- Colorado Springs: City to Observe Memorial Day Monday (May 25)
- Colorado Springs: Pikes Peak – America's Mountain begins summer hours, announces modified shuttle operations to the summit due to COVID-19
- Glass Mosaic Artist Allison Eden Studios Pivots Into Fashion With Face Mask Line